- Dit evenement is voorbij.
ABC Symposium | From Matter to Mind
november 1 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Organized by the Amsterdam Brain and Cognition (ABC), Templeton World Charity Foundation, and Faculteit der Natuurwetenschappen, Wiskunde en Informatica!
- You can sign up for free here! Also available to follow during live stream!
- Speakers: Cyriel Pennartz (University of Amsterdam), Andy Clark (University of Sussex, UK), Wolf Singer (Max Planck Institute, DE), Anil Seth (University of Sussex). After, joining the debate will be Melanie Boly (University of Wisconsin-Madison, US) and Jakob Hohwy (Monash University, AUS), with Umberto Olcese (University of Amsterdam) acting as moderator.
- Location: SPUI25
- Title: ‘From Matter to Mind’
- Abstract: Understanding consciousness has been for centuries a subject of philosophical investigation, but only recently have scientists started to tackle this question. Some of the most influential philosophers and scientists in the field debate the recent progress (and the problems that remain) in the scientific study of consciousness.
Will we ever understand how our brain generates consciousness, the most fundamental aspect of our existence? This question will be discussed in light of recent scientific progress in the field, which includes several large scientific collaborations that are testing the contrasting predictions of the most debated theories of consciousness. Indeed, the cause for this debate is a recent grant award to experimentally test concrete predictions from three theories against each other.