- Dit evenement is voorbij.
ILLC Seminar | Giada Pistilli: Ethics of Large Language Models: considerations and case studies
januari 17 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Organized by the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation! (ILLC)
- Speaker: Giada Pistilli
- Location: Amsterdam Science Park, plus live streaming on Zoom.
- Room: Room L3.36 at LAB42
- Title: Ethics of Large Language Models: considerations and case studies
- Abstract: In the field of NLP, Large Language Models (LLMs) hold an increasingly important space in industrial and academic research. With their development, researchers and users are increasingly aware of their potential negative effects on society. The trend toward ever-larger models and datasets seems to prevail within this environment, but ethical reflections and considerations do not always accompany it. This talk aims to shed light on the potential risks when using LLMs without the proper precautions. Those same risks exist in a general narrative where AI is still perceived as a “black box” behind which its developers disguise their responsibility to their users. After a brief introduction to ethics as a philosophical discipline, I will illustrate how its conceptual tools help prevent risks related to LLMs and lay the foundation for responsible development in their application cases. Subsequently, I will show how to operationalize ethics when applied to LLMs development projects, leaning on the BigScience and BigCode open science case studies.